Monday, April 13, 2015

laminate plank flooring

This season brings a new house and a whole new world of projects to get invested in.  First up: new floors.

I went with something cheap and durable - Laminate Plank. It's only $2 a square foot, and I have about 800 square feet to cover. Sometimes I don't love the choice of pattern I chose, but I think I like it better than the alternatives. The blunt truth is that it will never quite convince someone that it's wood. It looks slightly fake, which it is - It's plastic on top of MDF. But it ought to be durable enough for a decade or so, and it goes down quickly since it just locks together with no nails or glue.

Here are a couple before-pictures. Isn't my house beautiful? The old surfaces to pull up are carpet and old laminate.



 A couple days into the project and things looks like this

 

It took a long time to plan the layout of the new board. They are spanning long distances (longer than recommended) and being parallel to the wall in one room puts them off in another room. Additionally, the floor needed leveling in one area, and I used a cement mix to do a half-assed job there. For cheap one-decade-of-use flooring I don't really care if it's totally level.

 

 
 








in the end I like the grain quite a bit, especially from a distance. It's very warm in most lighting conditions. I still need to do the trim around the edges, and I suspect it may be a while before I get to that...

No comments:

Post a Comment