Friday, June 14, 2013

The Hinge

Everything came together this week. I knew that in order to apply the finish in a comprehensive way, I would need to apply finish to the pieces of the tables separately and then assemble them fully finished. And it worked!  In this post I'll explain the hinge detail and in the next post I'll describe some of the other final elements.

Here's what's going on with the hinge:


There's a half inch diameter hollow steel cylinder half buried in each side - chair back and chair legs.

In order for the chair back to fold down flat, I needed the hole to be drilled precisely in the right place on each piece of wood. For that I put together a small jig that will let me drill consistently on every piece


Here's a shot on the real pieces before they went together




No comments:

Post a Comment