Friday, June 14, 2013

ASSEMBLY

A table like this is essentially a cube. It needs to be straight and square in three dimensions. This provides a challenge for the final assembly. Luckily I had already stressed over making things perfectly square when I made a previous set of coffee tables. SO.... why not use those as a giant assembly jig for the new tables. Pieces of the new tables can be clamped to the old ones and everything should be square.

Here's what I came up with



What you're looking at are four glass tables all clamped together and my new table upside-down and pressed together. This method worked pleasingly well. 

The chair back goes down first, with the hinge cylinders in place with the legs. Then the chair bottom goes on top of that and screwed into place. 



Yeah, they look pretty sweet. I'm really ever so pleased with how these turned out.


I'll post some more pictures tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment